Ricky Ponting –
Anyone who follows cricket is aware of the legend, Ricky Ponting. This right hand batsman is not only an extremely talented player, but he was also one of the best captains Australia ever had. During his regime the Australian cricket was its best. He was the one who lead his team to two consecutive victories of World Cup. Under him the Australian team was a terror in the cricket world. Everyone was afraid of them, his management and planning was the reason behind that behind the boom of Australian team.
Ricky Ponting was born on 19th December 1974, in Launceston, Tasmania. He is the eldest of his four siblings. Since cricket was a part of the family, thus Pointing passion for it was nothing new. His uncle, Greg Campbell played for Australian team during 1980 till 1990. From school Ricky use to play cricket, his talent was much appreciated by his coaches. Ponting has married his longtime girlfriend, Rianna Jennifer Cantor. She is a law student and together they have 2 daughters, Emmy Charlotte, Matisse Ellie and one son, Fletcher William. Ponting often says that the increase in his maturity is because of his beloved wife. She is responsible for all the positive change in her.
His performance in a match against Riverside lead Ponting to become the youngest player to be a part of the Tasmania in a Sheffield Shield. He made 114 runs and was not out in Riverside’s match. He is the youngest Australian player to make a century in the first-class cricket and also the youngest player in the history of Shield who scored two centuries in a match. His excellent start with Tasmania from paved the path for him. He appeared for Tasmania from 1992 till 2013. In 2004, Ponting started to play for Somerset and in 2008 he represented Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL. In 2011-2013, he was playing for Hobart Hurricanes and in 2013 he joined Mumbai Indians. The same year he also played for Surrey and Antigua Hawksbills.
Ponting was first introduced to the ODI format of the game and sometime time later, he was selected for the Test cricket. His debut Test match was on 8th of December in 1995 in a match against Sri Lanka. His first One Day International match was against South Africa on the 15ht of February 1995. He scored just one run on six balls, as Australia had successfully managed to chase the target provided by South Africa. His last test match was against South Africa on the third of December in 2012 and his last ODI was against India on 19th February 2012. His shirt number was 14 expect in 1996 that year his ODI shirt number is 9.
Ponting played a total of 168 Test matches and he scored 13, 378 runs in them with a batting average of 51.85 and top score of 257. He made 41 centuries and 62 half centuries in his test career. In his ODI career, he has played 375 matches and scored 13.704 runs with a batting average of 42.04 and top score of 164. He made 39 centuries and 82 half centuries during his entire ODI career.
Untold Story Part 1, 2, 3 ,4 ,5, 6, 7, 8,9 & 10:
- The Calculated Gamble : Untold Cricket Story Part 1
- South African Sacrifice : Untold Cricket Story Part 2
- The Cult Heroes : Untold Cricket Story Part 3
- Untold Cricket Story Part 4 : When Sachin Tendulkar nominated Sourav Ganguly’s name for Captaincy
- Untold Cricket Story Part 5 : The Hated One India vs Sri Lanka World Cup 1996 Semifinal
- Untold Cricket Story Part 6 : Virat Kohli’s First Day In The Dressing Room
- Untold Cricket Story Part 7 : Sachin Tendulkar vs Glenn McGrath In The 2003 World Cup Final
- Untold Cricket Story Part 8 : Yuvraj’s prank on Ganguly for which he was almost ready to Resign from Captaincy
- Untold Cricket Story Part 9 : When An Angry Sachin Tendulkar Slammed Dravid
- Untold Cricket Story Part 10 : Coach John Wright once grabbed Virender Sehwag collar